This year we are committed to making Catholic Care a dementia friendly organisation. Every service is touched by those living with dementia either through direct care or family members. It is something which will, in one way or another, touch all our lives. Our aim is to encourage all staff, volunteers and trustees to become Dementia Friends, thereby raising awareness generally and taking positive action through our own personal pledge to undertake a personal action.
Rachel Beedle, Development Worker for Older People, and Helen Brand, Embrace Development Worker, have undertaken the necessary training and are now Dementia Friends Champions who will cascade their knowledge throughout Catholic Care and beyond.
On Friday 12th May 2017 Rachel delivered the Dementia Friends Introduction Session to the Senior Management Team and Management Team creating new Dementia Friends.
The five key messages are:
- • Dementia is not a natural part of ageing.
- • Dementia is caused by diseases of the brain.
- • Dementia is not just about losing your memory – it can affect thinking, communicating and doing everyday tasks.
- • It’s possible to live well with dementia.
- • There’s more to a person than the dementia.
Carol Hill, Director of Catholic Care said: “This was a real eye opener and had made me so much more aware of what dementia entails.”